Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sleep Training: Day 2

So today was our second day of sleep training. It actually started out really well. Garrett woke up at 5:45 this morning for a bottle and immediately went back to sleep. I woke up at 8:45 and still hadn't heard a peep out of him. I went to check on him and he started to wake up, so we started our day. He went down a little earlier for his first nap. I gave him a bottle, rocked for a few minutes and put him in his crib. He cried for about 30 seconds and then slept for the next 55 minutes! Hallelujah! It actually worked! Wow, this nap stuff is easy, I thought! Then our day took a downward turn. I fed Garrett his lunch and he immediately vomited the entire contents back up. Uh oh! Gabby just got over the stomach flu and I did not have a good feeling about this. We got Garrett all cleaned up (he required a full bath) and a little while later it was nap time again. I went ahead and gave him a bottle, rocked him and placed him in his crib. Then the screaming began. This time he did not go to sleep. I did my scheduled check ins, but he would not give in. At the end of the hour I went to get him and up and was greeted by a crib full of vomit. Poor guy! He was drenched in vomit from head to toe, had it caked in his hair and even in his ear! It had only been 15 minutes since my last check in and I never heard anything strange on the monitor, so I'm not sure how this all happened but it was a mess and I felt like the worst mother ever. After his second full bath of the day he was very clingy and just wanted to be held. I really tried to get him to drink Pedialyte for the rest of the day, but he was not that interested. He didn't have any more vomiting episodes so I gave him a bottle before bed. So far, that has stayed down. Hopefully we won't have any nighttime vomiting episodes and he will be feeling better tomorrow. I guess nap training will be on hold until I know he is feeling better. Figures, just as he was getting the hang of it. Oh well, what can you do...

No comments: