Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Scarred for Life?

Today started out as a great day, but ended a little rough. We were overstaffed at work, so I had the day off. Garrett and I went to my friend Ashley's and had a playdate with her and her children, Bryce and Sadie. Then we all went to Paradise Cafe (which I love) for lunch and walked around Clay Terrace for a while and did some shopping. Still having a great day, we did a few other things and then headed home. It was then that I had the brilliant idea that Garrett should begin napping in his crib this afternoon. He usually naps in his swing and always has. I fed him and we headed up to his room. I put on his nightime lullaby CD and sat down and began rocking him. He immediately began screaming uncontrollably. It took me a good 30 to 40 minutes to get him calmed down and asleep. I gently laid him in his crib and left the room. Wow! That wasn't too bad! Exactly three minutes later, he begins screaming. I let him cry it out for about 10-15 minutes and then go in and rock him again. It takes me forever to get him calmed back down and asleep again. This time I wait a little longer before laying him down. I leave the room and wait a few minutes. Still asleep. I think, ok, this is awesome! I even feel confident enough to text some friends and brag that he is napping in his crib! Wrong move! Just as I hit send, I hear the screaming begin. I wait another 10 minutes or so, thinking that he will calm himself down and fall back asleep. Wrong again! Finally I go in and pick him up and begin to rock him again. Only this time, he won't calm down at all. After quite a while of crying (on both our parts), I call Ashley who reassures me that I have not, indeed, scarred him for life. Finally I just give up and go downstairs with him. He immediately looks up at me and gives me the biggest grin ever. Total time spent trying to get him to nap in his crib: 2 hours 15 minutes. Total time he actually slept: 13 minutes. Likelihood of trying again tomorrow: slim to none.

No comments: